Tuesday, August 19, 2008

What Did The iPod Offer Up Today?

MJP - One of the decent things about where I work is that it's laid back enough to where I can keep my iPod & speaker dock on my desk and play music (at a reasonable volume) through the day. Today the iPod landed on the new live album by John Mayer, Where The Light Is: Live in Los Angeles.

Okay, before I'm asked to hand in my Man card, I'll say that I was not a fan of this guy. I thought his songs were fluff and I felt a minute drain from my life each time "Your Body Is A Wonderland" or "Daughters" came on the radio. What brought me around was seeing him play live on the PBS Series Soundstage. During the show, blues legend Buddy Guy came out and played part of the set with him, which was very, very good. I also came to find out that he has played with Eric Clapton many times. SJP got me his live album TRY! with the John Mayer Trio and lo and behold the guy has some pretty serious guitar chops. I gave his last album Continuum another listen after that, found it wasn't bad, and my opinion changed.

ANYWAY....back to today. Where The Light Is has almost three albums in one. It starts with an acousic set in which he does a nice job in covering Tom Petty's "Free Fallin" He then does a set with the John Mayer Trio, and wraps it up with his full band. Best of all, "Your Body Is A Wonderland" is nowhere to be found! This pretty much has something for everyone. If you like the softer stuff, some of that is included. If you enjoy fantastic guitar playing there is plenty of that as well. My two favorites right now are track 13 in which he covers Jimi Hendrix's "Bold As Love" and track 19 "Gravity" Both have extended guitar solos that will peel the paint from the wall.

SJP - I have enjoyed his music for a couple of years now and knew that he was no longer your daughter's John Mayer, but you know men - they have to discover and come around in their own time. So all you guys out there - Man up and give a listen! Oh, and in case you're wondering, my iPod offered up nothing today, as it never got off of the bedside table.

4 comments:

JDHTEACH said...

All Jack wants on his ipod (tracey's old one) is Bon Jovi and the whole sound track to Pirates of the Carrabian. How is that for variety.

JDHTEACH said...

Right now I am on an OLD SCHOOL kick.

I have been listening to A LOT of Journey, Scorpions, and of COURSE Queensryche- EMPIRE! I wore out two cassettes of Empire and one CD. I bought another cd of Empire in 97 when my other one dies. It currently is in a protective case with a combination lock. Only I know the code and only I am aloud to touch such a holy piece of ART

JDHTEACH said...

As for the ipod old school I currently am listening to the following:

Whitesnake
Hendrix
Pink Floyd
Motley Crue
70's disco

unt grad said...

I try really hard to listen to some of jdhteach's stuff, but it's hard. I'm more of a Top 40's, classical kind of gal.

I still can't listen to Ozzy without experiencing flashbacks to a Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe experience (where the goblins are having their bonfire after Aslan is sacrificed) and getting whacked with a flag because my loving boyfriend at the time forgot that blankets were contriband at Ozzfest!